- This event has passed.
Naturalist Field Day: Winter Raptors
February 24, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 4:00 pm$70 – $80
Enjoy the beauty and majesty of Montana’s winter raptors while learning key identification techniques, anatomy, and behaviors. We will begin the day with an in-class orientation and a series of journaling exercises to reinforce field mark recognition. We will then head into the field to practice our skills and gain greater understanding of raptor behavior and ecology with Denver Holt of the Owl Research Institute.
Ninepipes and the Mission Valley provide spectacular raptor viewing opportunities, including Rough-legged Hawks, Harriers, American Kestrels, Merlins, Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, and more.
- We will meet at the Montana Natural History Center and travel by bus to the field site.
- Please bring warm clothes, walking shoes/boots, water, lunch, snacks, a journal, binoculars (MNHC has pairs to borrow), and an ID guide of your choice (MNHC has copies to borrow).
- Hawks in Flight by Pete Dunne, David Sibley, and Clay Sutton
- Hawks from Every Angle: How to Identify Raptors by Jerry Liguori
- A Photographic Guide to North American Raptors by Brian K. Wheeler
- Raptors of the West: Captured in Photographs by Kate Davis, Rob Palmer, and Nick Dunlap
Cost: $70 for members, $80 for non-members.
Scholarships are available. Please call 327.0405 for more information.
Register online here.