- This event has passed.
Summer 2022 August Master Naturalist
August 25, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$420 – $450
Date: August 22- August 26
Time: 9:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.
Location: Montana Natural History Center
About this event
This is a five-day intensive course held in August each year. Class meets from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. each day. Christine Morris, Community Programs Coordinator at the Montana Natural History Center, is the primary instructor.
This class is compressed into a short window of time so we will delve deeply into three subjects. Our focus will be on learning the core skills of identification of: 1) flowers, trees, and shrubs 2) birds, and 3) insects. Instruction will also include time on local geology, mammals, fire ecology, and riparian ecology.
We’ll take full advantage of the early summer season and spend most of our time afield, supplementing that with a couple of lectures and labs to deepen our knowledge.
We will spend time in the cottonwood galleries of the river’s floodplain and venture to the conifer forest on Lolo Pass. Get a handle on plant identification by recognizing patterns in form, catch and identify butterflies along the Clark Fork River, and recognize birds by song and sight. The final day will be spent at the National Bison Range.
COVID precautions: We will follow all the most current best practices concerning covid precautions during this class. We will meet outside, wear masks, and social distance. If it is not possible for us to safely take our MNHC bus, we will need to drive ourselves in our personal vehicles.
- Cost: $420 for members; $450 for non-members
- Full payment due upon registration. The course fee (minus a $100 administrative fee) is refundable ONLY if a cancellation is made 30 days before the first day of class. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline. View our full cancellation/refund policy here.
- 2 UM credits available (pending approval). This course is listed as University of Montana ENST 391. A $155 fee is required to the School of Extended and Lifelong Learning to take the class for credit.
- Learn more on our website.
- Some scholarships are available–please contact us at 327.0405 for details.
- REGISTER HERE.
Registration opens on January 1st, 2022.