- This event has passed.
Naturalist Field Day: Tour the Bison Range with a Naturalist
June 22 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$70 – $80
LOCATION: MEET AT MNHC
Get an intimate and personalized tour of the National Bison Range with retired ranger Pat Jamieson. Bring your camera because you are sure to see a variety of charismatic fauna, from bison to antelope to songbirds to raptors! On previous tours the group has spotted black bears and even a badger. You never know who will pop up, and Pat knows the best places to look. Blooming bitterroots line a short walk to a vista overlook. Bighorn sheep climb rocky slopes. The National Bison Range is a fantastic place to learn about our local flora, fauna, and geology.
You will spend the day in our comfortable bus with Pat providing information as we go. Periodic stops permit study of plants, using binoculars and scopes to see birds and mammals, and short, scenic walks, as well as lunch under the ponderosa pines.
- Tour in our large-windowed bus
- Close-up views of mammals and birds
- Expert information from a ranger who worked at the Bison Range for decades
- A stop at Windmill Village Bakery in the morning
- Cold sodas and snacks on the bus
- An unforgettable day!
- Use of binoculars and scopes
- Light breakfast snacks
- Cold sodas
- Afternoon snacks
What to Bring:
- Lunch, water, snacks
- Clothes appropriate for changing Montana weather conditions, layers, hat, sunglasses
- Binoculars (optional, we have plenty to borrow)
Meet at the Montana Natural History Center. We will travel to the Bison Range on our bus. We will return to MNHC by 4:00 or 5:00 p.m.
Cost: $70 MNHC members, $80 non-members.
Registration is required. REGISTER HERE.
Scholarships are available. Please call 327.0405 to inquire.
Cancellation policy: The course fee (minus a 25% administrative fee) is refundable if a cancellation is made up to 7 days before the event. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline.