- This event has passed.
Naturalist Field Day: Roadside Geology with Bruce Baty
October 5, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm$70 – $80
Location: Meet at MNHC
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Spend a day delving into the geologic forces that have shaped our local landscapes! On this fascinating Field Day, we’ll visit many geologic features that are common to western Montana with geologist Bruce Baty. We will travel approximately 45 miles east of Missoula to see volcanoes, lava flows, major fault zones, uplifted and tilted rock layers, alluvial fans, stream features, a variety of different rocks (including the Bonner Quartzite), and much more.
- Learn about and visit a variety of geologic features near Missoula
- Gain a greater understanding of the geologic forces shaping our landscape
- Enjoy a tour in the MNHC bus
- Spend time with a local expert
What to Bring:
- Lunch, water, snacks
- Clothes appropriate for changing Montana weather
- Good walking shoes (we will not be walking far, but the terrain may be rocky or uneven)
- Note: Established restroom facilities may not always be available. However accommodations in a more ‘natural’ setting are plentiful.
- Camera (optional)
We will meet at the Montana Natural History Center and travel to the field site by bus, returning to MNHC by 4:00 p.m.
$70 MNHC members, $80 non-members. Registration is required. REGISTER HERE.
Scholarships are available. Please call 406.327.0405 to inquire.
Cancellation policy: The course fee (minus a 25% administrative fee) is refundable if a cancellation is made up to 7 days before the event. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline.