- This event has passed.
Geology Tour by Car and Foot 2-Part Class with Bruce Baty
September 24, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Thursday, repeating until September 24, 2020
DATES: September 17 & 24
TIME: 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
September 17 – meet at the Montana Natural History Center
September 24 – meet at the ‘M’ trailhead
Get an extra-special view of the geological process shaping our local landscape with geologist Bruce Baty. These two classes, one driving, one hiking, will cover major topics such as Glacial Lake Missoula, faulting, river bed dynamics, erosion, and more. Gain a foundational understanding of our fascinating geology here in Missoula through in-depth information and lively discussion!
Each trip will take approximately 2 hours.
September 17: Trip One, Driving Tour: River Dynamics on a Landscape Scale
Note: You will need a car for this trip.
We will meet outside of the Montana Natural History Center, and then drive our own vehicles to local river terraces on 3rd Street and behind St. Patrick’s Hospital. Traveling to Lolo Street in the Rattlesnake, we will view more river terraces before heading to Marshall Grade east of East Missoula. At this site we will discuss faulting, floodplains, river migration, and the meander loop at Brickyard. The trip concludes here.
September 24: Trip Two, Hiking Tour: Forming the Missoula Valley
Note: This is a steep climb requiring moderately high to strenuous effort. It is loose, steep footing going downhill.
We will meet at the ‘M’ trailhead (note: you may need to purchase a parking pass from the kiosk at the trailhead). We will walk to the UM’s administration building to get a view of ripple marks and xenoliths. We will then return to the ‘M’ trail and climb to the M. As we climb, we will pull out at large switchbacks and gather at the top to discuss faulting, valley fill, valley erosion, and the cutting of the Hellgate canyon with a bird’s-eye view of the valley. The class ends back at the trailhead.
What to Bring:
- Mask (we will practice social distancing and wear masks when together)
- Good walking shoes or boots, walking pole if desired for hiking the ‘M’ trail
- Water, snacks
- Clothes appropriate for changing Montana weather conditions – hat, sunscreen, layers, etc.
- Journal and writing implement for notes
- Camera or phone camera to photograph features
Cost: $50/$55 Member/Non-Member
Registration is required. REGISTER HERE.
What’s the refund policy?
The course fee (minus a 25% administrative fee) is refundable if a cancellation is made up to 7 days before the event. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline.
In light of changes to programming due to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Montana Natural History Center will make exceptions to its normal refund policy. These exceptions are as follows:
- Any programs cancelled by the Montana Natural History Center are eligible for a full refund.
- In the event a program fee can be rolled over to a following cycle or year, that offer will be made available to the paying program participant, and a spot will be reserved for the participant.
- If a program is cancelled by a participant due to reasonable health and safety concerns from exposure risk to novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Montana Natural History Center will issue a full refund.
- If any participant experiences major illness, injury, or loss of a family member prior to the start of a registered program the participant is eligible for a full refund.
Can I purchase just one of the two classes?
These classes are meant to be taken together and come as a package. We can’t sell tickets to just one.
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Nope! We will have a list of all the attendees.