- This event has passed.
Community Discovery Day: SuperFund Bird Tour and Bird Banding
July 27, 2018 @ 6:30 am - 3:00 pmFree
Community Discovery Day at Galen/Warm Springs
The Clark Fork Coalition and the University of Montana are hosting a special SuperFund Bird Tour featuring bird banding, birding Warm Springs Ponds WMA, and information regarding the status of the Super Fund clean-up.
Get up close and personal with song birds as you see them ‘in the hand’ during the banding session. After this informative program you will get a tour of the Warm Springs Ponds from local renowned birder Gary Swant. Find waterfowl, shorebirds, grebes, pelicans, cormorants, and more. This is a great event for beginning to expert birders! We will have binoculars to borrow and scopes for high-definition views.
- 6:30 a.m: Leave MNHC by carpool.
- 8:00 a.m: Bird-banding in the Upper Clark Fork floodplain on Hadley Ranch with the University of Montana Bird Ecology Lab.
- 10:30am: Warm Springs Bird Tour with Gary Swant.
- 12:30pm (approximate): Return to Dry Cottonwood Creek ranch house, managed by the Clark Fork Coalition, to eat your lunch. Will McDowell of the Coalition, will give a short presentation on the status of the Superfund Cleanup on the ranch and the surrounding area, including its effects on wildlife habitat.
1:30pm Optional alternative on your own: Any one interested can drive 3 miles up the Dry Cottonwood Road to see short-grass prairie, rocky outcrops, beaver ponds/willows, and conifer forest where a variety of birds can be seen from the road. Rock wren and green-tail towhee are hard to find, but often present.
- Lunch, water, snacks
- Clothes appropriate for changing weather conditions, layers
- Hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, bug spray
- Binoculars, birds guides optional (we have some to borrow)
RSVP is required. Please rsvp to email@example.com