- This event has passed.
Community Discovery Day: Beginning Fly Fishing: Approaching the Sport with a Naturalist Mindset
June 1, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm$35 – $40
LOCATION: Meet at the Fort Missoula Native Plant Garden
Time: 9:00 a.m.
This 4-hour class will introduce you to the basics of fly fishing and naturalist knowledge to successfully explore the sport. Casting, trouble-shooting, knot tying, and information about the fish and insects will provide a rich learning experience.
Instructor fly fisherwoman Erin Geiges will keep you moving with hands-on practice in a small, 8-person class. Practice dry land casting, identify live insect specimens, and meet some great people!
NOTE: We will practice dry land casting. We will not be casting into the river. We will not be catching fish. You do not need a fishing licence.
- Casting mechanics: how to cast a fly rod (rods will be available to use in class)
- Casting practice, guidance, and trouble-shooting
- Entomology: what you observe and why it matters (we will look at and identify real specimens)
- How to use invertebrate hatch charts and online resources
- Journaling and observation techniques
- Knot tying
- Types of fish
- Fly fishing ethics
Erin Geiges began her journey in fly fishing over 20 years ago. Since then, she has taught countless clinics, seminars, and lessons, and has spent seasons guiding in PA, NY, and Argentina. Her passion in the industry is helping others enter into the sport with confidence, knowledge, and an awareness of the beautiful connection with nature that this sport allows. On or off the river, you can find Erin honing her skills as a naturalist, working in her garden, or happily spending time outside with her family.
What to Bring:
- Lunch, water, snacks
- Clothes appropriate for changing Montana weather conditions
- Notepad and pen
- Hand lens or loupe*
- *Optional. These materials also provided by the Montana Natural History Center.
This class will meet at the Native Plant Garden at Fort Missoula.
Cost: $35 MNHC members, $40 non-members.
Registration is required. REGISTER HERE.
Cancellation policy: The course fee (minus a 25% administrative fee) is refundable if a cancellation is made up to 7 days before the event. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline.