- This event has passed.
Bear Safety, Biology, and Behavior with Bear Aware Educators
October 16 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$5
DATE: Saturday, October 16
TIME: 10:00 a.m.-noon
LOCATION: Montana Natural History Center, Nature Adventure Garden on the east side of the building
Get set up with the most accurate bear safety information with Bear Aware educators. Hiking, biking, hunting, and running in Montana during the fall are wonderful ways to get out and enjoy our amazing landscape. Fall is also a great time to be thinking about bear safety. Protect yourself and these amazing creatures! Bear Aware educators will provide information on bear biology and safety. See skulls, pelts, and mounts, ask questions, and check out a bear spray demonstration.
This 1-2 hour outdoor program will include:
- Bear avoidance educational trailer
- Grizzly bear and black bear mounts
- Life-sized photo of charging bears
- Bear Skulls and pelts
- Educational materials to hand out of black bear-grizzly bear identification, use of bear spray, etc.
- Educational photo panels depicting bear safety techniques
- Bear spray canisters so each participant can learn how to carry, hold, remove the safety clip, and spontaneously direct the spray towards the bear
- Bear spray demonstration course that simulates the three main ways in which bears charge and the time and distances involved
NOTE: This program will be held outdoors. Please bring a mask and clothes appropriate for the weather.
Best for older children, young adults, and adults.
$5 recommended donation to cover materials.
The Montana Natural History Center will be open at 11:00.
Registration is recommended.