Gallery Submission and Show Guidelines
The Montana Natural History Center’s Gallery features wildlife, landscape, and natural history-related art by local artists. Showcasing the artistic element of naturalist study, the exhibitions dovetail with the displays in the Center, our programs, and classes.
Our yearly art call for submissions is November 15. Submissions will only be accepted July 1-November 15.
- Email jpegs (72-300 dpi resolution, no more than 1500 pixels on the longest side) of each and every piece proposed for the show to HKlier [at] MontanaNaturalist [dot] org. Label the jpegs with your first initial and last name plus image number. For example: JDoe1.jpeg
- Two-dimensional pieces only will be considered.
- In the body of the email provide the size of the pieces, show title, and theme.
- Attach an artist’s statement of the body of work you are showing.
- MNHC will review the work and accept pieces that are appropriate for a gallery exhibition. We receive many applications each year and we cannot accept them all.
- Artists will submit a hold harmless document (click on link to view/print) before installing their work.
- Artists are responsible for hanging and taking down their show. Artists should come prepared with all the materials they may need to hang the art. Artists will hang an artist’s statement in the show.
- Work must be matted and/or framed (when applicable) and ready to hang (wire, cleats, or D-rings). Small matted works may be hung with easily removed adhesive. MNHC reserves the right to edit out pieces that are not prepared and presented in an appropriate manner.
- The artist must adhere to the space assigned by MNHC unless special permission is granted.
- MNHC does not require a commission, though donations are always appreciated. The artist should provide business cards or information on the artist statement for potential buyers to contact the artist directly.
- Shows are for one month unless otherwise discussed.
- MNHC will send out a brief description of the show to local media. The artist may purchase advertising space or send press releases of their own to media outlets.
- Artists should promote the show to their contacts and across their networks.
- Artists must attend the First Friday Opening.
- MNHC will provide tea and cocoa for the 4:30-6:30 pm First Friday Opening. Artists are encouraged to bring their own beverages, including wine or beer, and snacks. Artists are welcome to bring musicians.