- This event has passed.
Summer 2017 Master Naturalist Course
June 14 @ 8:00 am - June 20 @ 4:00 pm$395
Taught by MNHC Naturalist Christine Morris, this is a five-day intensive course held near the end of June each year. Class runs from Wednesday-Friday, June 14-16, and the following Monday-Tuesday, June 19-20, with the weekend off.
Because this version of the class is compressed into a short window of time, we won’t cover the same breadth of material as the spring class, but instead delve deeper into a more limited range of topics. This class also differs slightly from the spring course because we’ll take full advantage of the early summer season and spend most of our time afield, supplementing that with a couple of lectures and labs to deepen our knowledge.
Our focus will be on learning the core skills of identification in three areas: 1) flowers and trees, 2) birds, and 3) insects. Instruction will also include time on local geology, mammals, fire ecology, and riparian ecology.
We will spend time in the cottonwood galleries of the river’s floodplain and venture to the conifer forest on Lolo Pass. Get a handle on plant identification by recognizing patterns in form, catch and identify butterflies along the Clark Fork River, and recognize birds by song and sight.
Master Naturalist Certification Requirements:
- The main project for this class is keeping a detailed species list, and to get the most out of your experience, you should expect to spend a little time each evening after class, and some time over the weekend, reviewing and organizing your daily notes, and tracking your observations.
- Attend at least 40 hours of instruction.
- Complete the culminating exercise.
This is a university-level class. A significant amount of information is covered in 5 days. It is fun!–but also work to be proud of and take seriously.
- Call 327.0405 or click here to register online.
- Cost: $395
- Full payment due upon registration. The course fee (minus a $100 administrative fee) is refundable ONLY if a cancellation is made 30 days before the first day of class. No refunds will be issued for cancellations made after this deadline.
- 2 UM credits available (pending approval). This course is listed as University of Montana ENST 391.
- Some scholarships are available–please contact us at 327.0405 for details.